Design & Technology
Learning in Design Technology
Aims of D&T:- The national curriculum for design and technology aims to ensure that all pupils:
- develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
- critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
Purpose of study
Design and technology is an inspiring, and practical subject. Using creativity and imagination, pupils design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world. Design Technology shows pupils how to look at materials and objects. It helps them to know and understand properties, qualities of various materials and how they were made. DT helps pupils to learn the skills they need to use tools to change materials (cut, chop, bend, heat, cool). Pupils will also learn how to combine materials (glue, mix, tape) to create a new item that will be used for a specific purpose. Pupils will look at the design of existing objects to inform them in the designing of future objects. Pupils will evaluate objects and designs, to find out whether or not it is fit for purpose. Pupils will:
- Increase their knowledge and understanding of the materials and their properties, qualities and limitations.
- Learn how to change and combine materials to create a new object that can be used for a specific purpose.
- Learn how to use tools to help modify or change materials.
Learn how to evaluate objects to find out if they can be used for the purpose that they are designed for
Two year Unit of study focus – Design Technology
|Travel and Transport
|Use re-cycle materials to make a kite
Combine materials/ discover best material for purpose
|Use re-cycled materials to construct parachute (plastic bags) Make a boat that will float and a submarine that will sink.||Construct a wheeled vehicle using wheels and an axel.||Construct a wheeled truck using wheels and an axel and hydraulic lift.|
|Explore bread and yogurt.
Express likes and dislikes
|Make bread, toast and ice cream.||Make bread, toast and ice cream, measure ingredients, and compare methods by hand an by machine.||Make bread, toast and ice cream, measure ingredients, and compare methods by hand an by machine. Then select ingredients to improve the product.|
|Caring for our World
|Explore and use recycled materials||DT not a focused priority for this term|
|Light, Sound, Electricity
|Experience a range of lights, colours and sounds.
Make a sound maker.
|Construct sound telephone.||Using recycled materials make tuned and un tuned musical instruments.||Construct electrical circuit, use electric cell to power vehicle.|
|Where We Live
(houses, clothes, weather and environment)
|Explore a range of construction toys and materials.
|Iron photo of self on t shirt||Use rigged materials to construct the inside of a dwelling and furnish it. Combine materials to change their state. Use electric circuit to light up house.||Use resistant materials to construct dwelling. Use electric circuit to light up house.|
|Myself and the Animal Kingdom
|Not a focus||DT not a focused priority for this term|